Blasts kill Pakistan Army officers.
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa | K-P | 15 Sep 2013 :: chief minister Pervez Khattak approved the withdrawal of Pakistan Army from Swat and Malakand on Saturday,once controlled by the banned militants,as the process of pulling out troops from Shangla and Buner districts would start next month.
Pakistan army troops had been ordered into the valley in 2009 by the then democratic government after militants had attempted to take over. After the successful completion of their operation and talks with the militants, it was decided that army personnel will be called off from the area.In the initial stage, security forces will be withdrawn from Buner and Shangla districts in the province starting mid-October.
Pervez Khattak said the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) had honoured its pledge of establishing the writ of the government.
An official communique issued from the CM House statedthat provincial Chief Minister Pervaiz Khattak announced thewithdrawal of army from Malakand division in Nowshera.
Khattak said that withdrawal of army from these two districts would be followed by a phase-wise withdrawal from Upper Dir, Lower Dir and Swat where "the writ of the government has been consolidated".
The announcement comes in the backdrop of federal government preparing to start peace talks with the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) in the light of decisions of an all-party conference.
The army was called out by the then government in 2007 to assist the administration in parts of Malakand division to quell militancy in the mountainous region.
The division comprises Swat, Buner, Shangla, Upper Dir,Lower Dir, Chitral and Malakand districts.When several militant groups, led by Mullah Fazlullah,established a parallel administration in Swat, Buner and other adjoining districts and started brutalities, the army launched an operation in May 2009. The Air Force assisted the army.(Courtesy:Samay Live)