|People stand at the site of a suicide attack|
in Kabul July 2, 2013. — Photo by Reuters
KABUL | AP | 02 Jul 2013 :: Taliban attackers set off a truck bomb early Tuesday and killed five security guards at a Nato supplier's compound in Kabul, the latest in a series of bold attacks on high profile targets in the Afghan capital.
The attacks have driven home that the Taliban have no intention of ending the violence, even though they have indicated they are willing to talk peace and have opened an office in Qatar for that purpose.
''This (attack) has no link to the peace process,'' Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told The Associated Press in a telephone call. Attacks ''will continue all over the country occupied by the foreigners,'' he said.
Before dawn, a suicide bomber drove a small truck packed with explosives to the outer gate of the logistics center used to supply Nato troops and detonated it, said Kabul provincial police chief Mohammad Ayoub Salangi.
The explosion blasted a huge crater in the ground and damaged a guard tower.
Two truck drivers waiting to enter the compound were killed in the blast along with the bomber, he said.
Then four gunmen stormed into the breach and battled with security guards.
An Afghan police special response team and security guards battled the attackers for about an hour before killing them, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
One Afghan and four Nepalese guards were also killed, the ministry said.
In a statement on the Taliban website, Mujahid said only three militants were involved in the ''attack on a big foreign base important for Nato logistics,'' listing the assailants by name.
The Taliban opened a political office in Doha last month, indicating they were prepared to enter into Afghan peace talks, but they did not renounce violence.(Courtesy:Dawn)Read More>>>